Monday, April 2, 2012

The Rug

 

for Annie

I've always liked this rug
since you first showed it to me.
Its reds and blacks call
to the heart and the will
as clearly as a native American dance
before a great journey,
hunt or battle.
I see men
stomping the earth
around a fire
encouraged by their ululating women.
But then
the patterns pull me away
from the night and human noises
into big spaces
--mountains rising above mountains,
diamonds sparkling on high waters,
crosses pointing to the four directions.
Within these patterns
more colors emerge
... white, beige and at least five shades of gray.
I particularly like the latter,
as if some medicine man
collaborated with the weaver
to remind us
not to be so quick to judge
but rather
to welcome subtlety, nuance, uncertainty
and contradiction,
to walk in the world as if
either danger or wonder
could confront us
beyond the next rock or tree,
to be steady, strong and fully awake
as we place each foot forward,
to be ready and willing
to live whatever
there is to live.
So, yes, my darling, I like this rug very much.
It's the placement I've had a problem with
as you know...
here in the kitchen
where it gets walked on
kicked and
dirtied up with dog hair and vegetable cuttings.
Still
you want it here.
You
don't want it hanging on the wall.
It's sturdy. You're not worrying over dirt.
I usually defer to your taste
but this is a loose rug that slides and folds.
It has felt like an accident waiting to happen.
It has also felt disrespectful to the weaver
and the poem in the patterns.
Part of me wants to dig in and fight this out.
But I have decided
to embrace the placement of the rug
for one reason.
Because it makes you feel good
to have it under foot,
to see it when you enter the kitchen,
to make sure one of us engages
in a weekly ritual of cleaning.
I want you to feel good.
You deserve to feel good.
We will dance together around the symbolic fire
woven in the reds.
What could matter more?
So if you or I trip, I will not go to "I told you so".
I will not allow this rug to become a field
where our two inner children skirmish
over whose needs are more important.
I embrace the placement of the rug
fully
and, as the saying goes, without reservation.
With this commitment
I entertain another possibility
--that I might not have paid so much attention
might not have seen the pictures and heard the stories in the rug
were it not constantly under foot.
Just as, now,
standing in its middle, looking down,
I wonder at the white twinings that extend from each end of the fabric
...reaching forward and back
as if the rug itself
is a sacred between
connecting past with future
earth with sky
water with wind
love with learning
all shades of gray
with each other
and, most important,
me
with you.
C 2011 Bob Kamm

No comments:

Post a Comment