Monday, April 2, 2012

Love Complete

 

for Annie
When I arrive
shipwrecked
on your shores--as I do from time to time--
and the love I haul from the waves
is soaked
barnacled
and cracked…
the cause is in me
and me alone,
my darling,
for you
are perfectly loveable
and deserve
a fleet
with full sails
flags flying
fresh paint
and a cargo of love
complete,
intact,
delivered onto the docks
with gloved hands.
I have been at sea
too long
yet also long enough
to know
you have, too.
It is my prayer
and my intention
now
to keep land beneath my feet
to witness and adore you
in each of your many moments
…every
shift of wind
on the surface of your eyes
the smallest movement
in their depths,
the subtle telling of your own long voyage
that words can’t touch.
No part of you
should be left behind
dismissed, neglected or
partially embraced.
That was done
by others in your past
so that you buried the full treasure of your heart
under dunes, driftwood
and these stones
that, for all the hiding
over many years,
still held sunlight
captive
in dark flecks
like waves at night
do moonlight.
So, we will
go together now
in day and darkness
you and I
digging
carefully
with our hands
until every chest is open
and every jewel revered

No comments:

Post a Comment