Monday, April 2, 2012

Beyond Compare

This is a poem I wrote for Annie recently, after Love Over 60 had already gone to press. Bob


Beyond Compare
for Annie
You look at me
differently
than you do
anyone else
on earth.
And I see your eyes
as I see no other’s…
for they are
like no other’s
and no other thing,
yet many others
and many other things
are like them.
Like
but not equal to
or the same as
--the dark wondering
of a
child
studying
her first
falling leaves;
rain puddles
holding the sky
within their small borders;
the fierce stare
of a painter
churning her pallet
into purples and reds;
the high sun
of summer
the low sun
of winter;
the moon
so full
with song
even the deaf
can hear her
--all strive
to be worthy
but end up
on their knees
as do I
before your
fierce
and tender royalty
…but unlike them
I hope to rise
when you
tap my shoulder,
reborn
incomparable
in your incomparable
gaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment